Thursday, January 27, 2011

DL-1 Clone Sighting

It's unusual for me to come across a rod-brake bike in the wild, but when I do, it certainly sticks out. I spotted this DL-1 clone today, an India-made "Hero Jet," in front of San Francisco General Hospital:


It appears to have the same geometry as my 24" Tourist. The double top tube was the only difference that I really noticed. The owner of this bike upgraded the saddle to a Brooks B67.




That chain ring design is reminiscent of brass knuckles, no?




Stock cargo rack.

Follow the manly man for more info about Hero Cycles Ltd.'s "Roadsterz"
(warning: it's like traveling back to 1995):

4 comments:

  1. Hello, i have an authentic Made in England 1952 Raleigh DL 1, with double top tube, all the parts are marked, it has original Brooks saddle and front sturmey archer Dynohub gh6, I just need to know is if the derrailleur wich is a simplex tour de France model is the original equipment too, can you help me with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a DL-1, it should have a Sturmey Archer AW 3-Speed internally geared hub with no derailleur. Cool that you've got one of the larger double top tube models!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your answer, I like this bike a lot, should I let this derailleur or should I try to get the sturmey archer? What do you think is best?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The HERO Jet has been made in India since the early 50's. HERO is in fact the largest bicycle manufacture in the world. Go to to any city or village on the subcontinent and you'll see these everywhere. In many places they have sidecars attached and are referred to as tri-shaws (Burma/Myanmar is famous for these). I have one manufactured in 1961, and another one which I just purchased new in Doha, Qatar. Atlas is another manufacturer of very similar bicycles.

    ReplyDelete